16 September 2005

plastination street

Saw the plastination exhibit last night at Great Lakes Science Center. Both more and less creepy than I was expecting. For those who have not yet been, I would definitely recommend it. You can handle a real human brain, with your real human hand! It's now legal!

There is also an interesting sense of the macabre in the exhibit (seems hard to believe, but true). E.g., there's a figure skating duet exhibit called the "Death Spiral". There are also lots of penises, for people who like those.

Also amusing: there's a desk where you can sign up to be plastinated. Apparently 5 people in Cleveland have done this. Without being able to contractually specify my own pose, I declined the opportunity.

6 comments:

Drew said...

I thought the plastinated pregnant woman with her plastinated embryo in her plastinated uterus was especially macabre.

kofno said...

And really, who doesn't like lots of penises...

tormp said...

yes, the plastinated stages of pregnancy exhibit caused significant problems for an eight-year-old-ish girl and her unfortunate father in front of me.

"but... isn't that a baby?", serious concern in voice.

PREGNANT pause, "...uh, yeah"

"wha... was it already dead?", concern mounting.

pause, resigned sigh. "yes."

my personal favorite: "wh... WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE ANY EYES?"

i didn't hear an answer for that one. yikes.

dcass said...

Yeric and I saw this in LA last year. In line in front of us at the gift shop was Marilyn Mason and Bill Nye "The Science Guy"

Originally i reacted with a "WOW, why are they here?"

then i realized it made total sense. One loves dead shit and the other loves science.

Kyl said...

what did they have to buy at the gift shoppe?

Kyl said...

I wonder if Dr. Netter got plastinated when he died.

http://www.netterimages.com/artist/netter.htm

(I don't know how to make this an actual link, sorry)