27 October 2005

Truist, do you have this guy beat?


FLOMATON, Ala. -- Edmond Knowles started out saving pennies in a 5-gallon can. Thirty-eight years later, he was storing them in four 55-gallon drums and three 20-gallon drums - nearly 1.4 million in all. Knowles, who runs a gas station, cashed them in Wednesday, pocketing $13,804.59 after they were counted at a bank. "It's just something that happened," he said. "I started so long ago that I don't even remember why." He got some help along the way from customers at Ed's Service Station. "Customers would come by and say: 'Ed, throw these in your drum,'" he said. Coinstar Inc., a company that maintains coin-counting machines in banks and supermarkets, said Knowles' 1,380,459 pennies breaks the record of 1,048,013 held by Eugene J. Sukie of Barberton, Ohio.

1 comment:

truist said...

Sure I do - he's penniless!

But really, he'd be my hero... if he hadn't cashed them in. That kills the whole point. Now they're all back in circulation, and I just have more work ahead of me ;)